Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in search engines via the "natural" or un-paid ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results. In general, the earlier (or higher on the page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users.Now lets start with my 5 minute SEO GUIDE:-
1) Update regularly :- More than 85% of websites in world web are updated once in a month. It takes a lot of resources for serach engine to crawl whole web. So, why they would crawl a website daily which is updated once in a year. So more content you put on your website or blog, higher your search engine ranking will be.
2) Meta Description :- While searching on search engines users first read your post description . So add meta description tags to your website and make it simple yet attractive.
3) Submit Your Website to Web Directories :- Search engines uses web directories as a index of world wide web. Think a bit, when you read a 1000 page book ,you take help of that content index in front page. Same thing happens with search engines. Best web directories currently in the market are dmoz and yahoo.
4) No more Meta keywords :- Most of the search engines had stopped recognizing meta keywords way before 2005 but still many webmasters waste their precious time on it.
5) Title to Your Posts :-- There are just three things which appears on search engines namely Title, Description and Url. So the most impotant thing is Title for your posts. Try to find some unique yet popular Title for posts.
6) Keyword Density :-- While giving title to your posts ,its so much important that the title contains those words which hovers around all over the article.
7) Unique Content :-- Search engines are so hungery for unique content that have value to its viewers. Content is the most imporatnt thing in SEO. Search engines and viewers will find you if you have valuable content.
8) Submit :- Submit your website once to all major search engines namely google,yahoo and bing.
9) Serch Engine Friendly URLs :- Dont just make your url puzzling for search engines. Keep it as simple as possible.
10) Fix Crawling Errors :- There is a huge competetion between search engines itself. They compete for finding unique and latest content. A Web crawler is a computer program that browses the World Wide Web in a methodical, automated manner or in an orderly fashion. So don't worry much about SEO if you don't have crawling errors which can checked out at Google Webmaster Tools.
11) Backlinks :-- Try to get quality backlinks from websites related to your website . It will increase your search engine standing drastically.
12) Commenting :-- Give some valuable comments on related forums , blogs and websites.
13) Create a Site Map :-- A site map is a single page on your website that outlines and links to all the pages within your site. This helps the search engines find all the pages within your site.Submit sitemap to google,yahoo and bing.
14) Stay away from flash :- Search engines donot understands complicated flash and multimedia objects, so stay away from it.
15) Add a Few Internal Links :-- Linking older posts inside your latest posts is a great SEO technique.It improves your search engine standing but also increase your website traffic.
A Technology blog